Friday, May 11, 2012

Everybody Loves Strippers


I know this has nothing to do with speed in any way but I cant help but marvel at the beauty of hand made strip kayaks. Constructed by gluing strips of wood over formers to enclose the hull, strip kayaks get their beauty from the wood used to construct them. One of the things that, in my opinion makes them so attractive is that they are most often not 1 solid color. The use of strips allows one to get a plethora of different shade into a finished hull. Oft times you will see a builder shape different designs or inlays into the "deck" of a kayak and it has a stunning effect. Witnessing one of these creations gliding across a mountain lake reflecting off of the glass surface is a fine sight indeed.









These are just a few of the more striking examples that I have come across. There are many different sites online where you can buy plans and and instruction manuals to build one yourself. I have even found a few that have plans/kits for surfboards. I neither surf, nor boat, but either project is something I would consider building myself, and be proud to own.









No comments:

Post a Comment